Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Feels like a bad dream

I have shed so many tears lately it's ridiculous! I feel like I am walking around in a fog. It has been hard to watch my dad struggle with his health. Early last week he went to the doctor. His white blood count was at .9 and it should be between 4-10. Later in the week he went back to the doctor for a blood transfusion and platelets. (He is having REGULAR blood transfusions). While he was there, he found out that his white blood count had dropped to .5. At this point if he were to get any type of infection he could die from it. His body is no longer responding to chemo or any pills, so it is just a matter of time. Shortly after arriving home from receiving a transfusion and platelets, he got a fever. The doctor has told my mom and dad that anytime dad gets a fever, he needs to go to the Emergency Room. My dad did not want to go to the Emergency Room at all. My mom was finally able to talk him into going. The doctor told them the next day that he would have died in the night had they not gone in. My dad had to spend the next two nights in the hospital. He told the doctor that he is supposed to marry is grandson (my nephew) in the Idaho Falls Temple on Saturday. The doctor told my dad he thinks he will make it until then. Dad is having to go to the hospital everyday to get an IV antibiotic to help ensure that he stays well. We are praying that he will be granted this last tender mercy from the Lord and be able to be at the temple on Saturday with all the family. All of my brothers and sisters will be in town for the wedding and to see my dad. I am so grateful that we are all together to spend time with my dad.






3 comments:

lindygirl said...

Heidi,
I am very sorry for what you have been going through. I feel like I have had a taste of it and it is really hard. Fortunately, my Dad is recovering but there were 2 times we were sure we were going to lose him. You are just not the same after you have gone through something like that. I hope and pray that your Dad makes it to the Sealing. And I hope and pray that the Lord will carry your family through this difficult time. Sending my love,
Sarah

The Sampietro's said...

Im so sorry to hear about your dad. It is hard getting older because everyone around you gets older too! My mom is barely hangin on. And it's hard because..there is really nothing we can do. love you girl

p.s. I met your bro. Kevin and his wife...they were visiting our WARD! It was crazy!

Ashley and Cody said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your dad. That has to be one of the hardest things to go through. He sounds like he is a great man. hang in there and know our thoughts are with you