Sunday, August 8, 2010

Happy 14 and Lagoon

First of all, I need to say sorry to all my Utah friends. We went to Lagoon this weekend and did not call. It was a very last minute decision to go. We have been promising our kids all summer that we would take them to Lagoon. We sat down and looked at our August calendar and realized that this was the ONLY weekend available. I have not wanted to leave town because my dad hasn't been doing so great, but he seemed to be feeling pretty good...so we left. I was very nervous about leaving town, but we knew that we needed a little family vacation---so we went.

I grew up going to Lagoon every summer and still love going. I guess I am just a thrill seeker and a sucker for roller coasters. The only problem is I am getting older. The older you get the harder it is to do all those things and not get sick to your stomach. But, I didn't let that stop me.

It also happened to be Riley's 14th birthday. She is now officially old enough to start going to Stake dances. WHAT THE CRAP! It was NOT that long ago that I was going to Stake dances. I remember them just like they were yesterday. I even remember what I was wearing to some of the Stake dances. (Erin...I remember wearing your pink and white skirt and shirt with your cute white boots)

I guess if you are going to celebrate a birthday, Lagoon is a good place to go!

Riley and Brynn went on a ride called the Sky Coaster. For those of you reading this that don't know what that ride entails, here is a description.

The Sky Coaster is a sport/amusement attraction that offers all the thrills and excitement of skydiving and hang gliding. The attraction requires participants to be strapped into a full-body harness (usually referred to as a flight suit) that supports one to three flyers at a time.

From a static point of approximately six feet above the ground, flyers are pulled aloft by a launch cable until nearly reaching the top of the launch tower. At this point, flyers are approximately 143 feet above the ground, and their flight is ready to begin. Upon being given the signal, the flyers pull the ripcord, releasing themselves from the launch cable to rapidly swing toward the ground at speeds reaching up to 80 mph. The overall feeling is similar to that of swooping along the ground in a hang glider, or of skydiving.


I still cannot believe that Brynn was brave enough to go. Last time we went to Lagoon, Brynn didn't want to go on SEVERAL of the rides because they looked too scary. This year she was willing to go on everything.



Riley and Brynn--flyin' high!




Brynn's face says it all. Riley has been on the ride once before. She said it was just as scary this time.

I tried to be a good sport and go on all the rides that the kids wanted me to ride. Some of them, I wasn't exactly thrilled to go on. (I guess mostly just the rides that spin you around lots and lots and make you want to loose your lunch. But, yes I went on those too.)

This ride is called Cliffhanger. It hangs you upside down and gets you wet, and that my friend is a double whammy. You not only get to feel sick, you are sick AND wet--a very delightful combination.




Nice and wet after the ride.

Jace was happy to go on every ride. I can honestly say that he is the happiest kid I have ever known. He was just happy to be there and brave enough to try it all.


Haley was BARELY tall enough to go on some of the large scary rides. She was SO brave and willing to try a lot of the big rides. I couldn't believe that my sweet little 5 year old wanted to tackle some of the huge rides. I remember going to Lagoon as a kid and having my dad drag me on to most of the big rides. I know that I was MUCH older then 5.

She was brave enough to go on this LARGE roller coaster.





The Wild Mouse was one of Haley's favorite rides and we went on it SEVERAL times. That was great with me, because it is one of my favorite rides too. She said she loved to listen to me scream on that ride.


We also went to Pioneer Village and got a few pictures taken. That is the first time I have done that with my kids. It was a lot of fun.


I just had to photoshop a little saying on this next picture...

4 comments:

Heather Davies said...

That looks like SO much FUN!! I'm glad you guys had a getaway--very much needed. Love the pictures!

Tai said...

So fun I am glad you guys made it down to Lagoon and had lots of fun!! I love the old time pictures!!

Robyn said...

I think you know our recent obsession with Lagoon. We're planning to return for FrightMares, too.
Fun times. I think we'll have to get the pictures, too - we've never done that, either.
Cute family, Heidi!

Erin said...

Look like you had a great time. I forgive you for not calling :) We were in Park City last weekend for a soccer tournament anyway. I do remember my cute white boots! And all those stake dances. Just wait dating is right around the corner. I love the family pictures.