Friday, April 22, 2011

Friday Flashback...the chicken in the bed

This Friday Flashback takes us back to when John and I had only been married about 6 months.  We were living in a ladies house (her name was Annabelle) while she was serving a mission for the church.  (I've posted in the past about living there.)  For more...click here.

The house was very old and quite often I felt terrified at night.  I wish I had the words to adequately describe this house.  The wall colors, drapes, and carpet were all dark.  The house was very poorly lit.  Most the rooms in the house did not have overhead lighting, instead they were lit with lamps.  The dark colors in the room seemed to swallow up all the light. 

The house was full of different kinds of clocks--cuckoo clocks, mantel clocks, pendulum clocks, that had to be wound regularly.  There was a kind of "cadence" from the clocks that almost caused me to have an adrenaline rush, especially when the pitch of the chimes were slightly off key.

Annabelle had many beautiful old antique statues and decorations.  Before leaving on her mission, she put many of them in a bedroom and locked the door so they would be kept safe, to which I was very glad---one less thing for me to worry about. 

The only bathroom in the house had one window in it.  One morning when I walked into the bathroom, I noticed that the window was up.  I asked John if he had opened it, and he told me that he hadn't.  A few days later I was standing in the bathroom and I watched the window as it slowly went up, yet there was no one there.  So, I learned that the window would just go up by itself, because it was spring loaded and very old.  I have to say that it was quite creepy seeing the window go up by itself...especially at night.  The old spring loaded window made a screeching sound as the window slowly slid up the track.

One night, after recently moving in, we kept hearing a knocking noise.  I asked John to do some investigating to find out where it was coming from.  He climbed out of bed and walked to the closet where the sound was coming from.  He opened the closet door and observed that the knocking sound was coming from the other side of the wall (which just so happened to be the room that was locked).  We were both totally freaked out.  I told John that I was petrified, and he told me that he was nervous too.  I was thinking Oh GREAT!  I went to bed paralyzed.  For some reason, if you hold completely still in bed you are safe...ya right!  I don't think we slept much that night, because we still hadn't figured out where the knocking was coming from.

The next day John solved the mystery.  He went outside and found a meter box located near where the closet would be.  The metal box had a lock on it that would tap against it when the wind blew.  At least that was the story he told me.  From that point on, at night when I needed to go "potty" I would wake John up and make him walk me to the bathroom on the other side of the house.  Poor John was awakened frequently to walk his big chicken-of-a-wife to the bathroom.  Oh, and did I mention, we lived there for 1 YEAR.  What a lucky guy!

3 comments:

Dr. John Owen said...

I am a lucky guy! You're the best thing to ever happen to me.

lindygirl said...

I was waiting to read that a chicken had climbed in the window of the bedroom. Then I figured out the chicken was you! Funny story!

Shauna said...

Stopping by with love and hugs!