Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Did you ever notice...


Isn't that just lovely...and slightly funny...and sadly true.  Why does the ol' metabolism have to slow down when you are getting older?  And WHY can't we be blessed with the same amount of energy as our busiest child? 

For the last several months, I have been wogging (walk/jog) around a path with a friend--every morning.  Good thing I have a faithful exercising buddy that is expecting me.  We have been walking in sun, rain, snow, wind, you name it.  I think on our coldest morning it was around 8 degrees.  Shiver me timbers!  I figure we are burning more calories on those mornings because we are shivering so bad.  Not to mention the wind that is ALWAYS doing it's job giving us wind resistance and interval training.  Although I would like to say, thanks...but NO THANKS! 

I have decided to run on a marathon relay team in June.  I've dealt with my share of crap when it comes to exercise...plantar fasciitis, shin splints, achy knees.  You'd think that I was turning 80 soon with the way that I hobble around the house at night.  Luckily the relay team is not doing it for time...just for fun.  Although, I am a bit of a competitive person, and I don't want to be the slowest runner on my team.  Guess I better kick my training up a notch, especially since I only have about 7 weeks left.

We recently had to come up with a name for our relay team.  The few suggestions that I came up with were...
  • Wrong Distance Runners
  • Asphalt Assault
  • Old Enough to know Better
  • Time wounds all Heels
  • Hill is a 4 letter word
  • 2 slow 2 win 2 dumb 2 quit
  • F.A.R.T.S - Friends Always Run Together Socially
With a vote...we have chosen 2 slow 2 win 2 strong 2 quit. (Substituting the word dumb for strong---not so much in my case).  I liked the "Time wounds all Heels" because of the nasty plantar fasciitis plaque that I have been dealing with.

I recently purchased a new pair of running shoes, and they seem to be making a difference.  Crossing my fingers that I can get myself good and ready for the race.  Wish me luck!

1 comment:

Jill said...

Sweet Heidi! Ragnar? WE are doing it too-definitely for FUN, not speed!! Yikes-7 weeks?? I gotta get runnin!
Good for you-hope your heels hold up!