Sunday, April 15, 2012

Stairs to Nowhere

I have a lot of growing up to do,
I realized that the other day...
In my fort.

How do I explain this next blog post without sounding like a complete lunatic?

I live in the same town as I did when I was a child.  I remember (just like it was yesterday), driving around town in a big yellow station wagon with my mom.

Frequently during our errand running, we would pass by a set of stairs. The stairs are located in a very random location--right off a busy road next to an on-ramp to a busy highway. They appear to be stairs to nowhere.  The sidewalks come to a dead end on each side of the road near the stairs.  In order to get from one side of the road to the other, you have to dart across traffic (no crosswalk).  I don't think this set of stairs looks much differently now then it did when I was a kid.

As a child, I think that EVERY TIME we passed this set of stairs, I would ask my mom to please stop and let me climb them.  For some reason, it just looked so fun to climb them.  I'm not sure if it was the stairs that excited me, or the fact that they are located in such a random location.  To me, I thought those stairs were so cool...almost more exciting than it would be to find a secret hidden door in your house. 

Of course, every time I would ask my mom to stop, the answer was no.  After all, there really was no place TO stop, and what mother wants to stop and kill time when she is busy running errands.  (When I took these pictures, I got lucky with no traffic and I just stopped in the middle of the road). 

For many, many years I have passed this set of stairs and my mind is always taken back to when I wanted, so badly, to climb them.  I told my "exercising friend" Michelle about my secret desire to climb those stairs.  Yesterday, when we were walking around the river, I asked her if she would please humor me.  Finally, at the age of 40, I climbed my stairs to nowhere.  I joked about how I should have called my mom, asked her to pick me up, and make her drive me over there to climb the stairs.

No comments: