Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Honeymoon camp out...

Today John and I are celebrating 20 years of marriage. Like every marriage, we have had our ups and our downs. Thankfully a lot more ups then downs. We have been blessed with 4 great kids in our 20 years of marriage. And yes, sometimes those cute little turds have contributed to the "downs". But, we still love them anyway.

When we were first married, we were poor and frankly very clueless. It also seems to me that we communicated more about love and mushy things then anything substantial. I have to say that sometimes young newly-weds are just so stupid. I think back to how I was at age 20 and just have to laugh and scratch my head a little. We thought we knew it all, but we didn't know jack-squat!

The day of our wedding things seemed to go smoothly. Although at about 10:00 p.m. when the reception should have long been over, someone grabbed John and handcuffed him to my mom. It was funny for the first few minutes, and then I was tired and ready to go. We had an hour and a half drive to a cabin, (where we were staying that night), and we needed to get going. I recall starting to feel like it was not so funny anymore. I guess you shouldn't mess with a bride on her wedding day. It may be kind of like poking a sleeping bear. I recall starting to feel like that sleeping bear.

Our honeymoon was a traveling honeymoon with the the final destination being Arizona. We were moving there. (Back to the non-substantial conversations...I don't really recall a discussion about moving there, either that or I just have a really bad memory). I hope to help my kids see clearly when they are getting married and to not have their heads in the clouds.

We stayed in a cabin the first night and a hotel along the way. The final night we camped. Back then it seemed like a good idea to camp near the Grand Canyon. I'm not talking about camping with air mattresses, cooking stoves, and all the other things that make camping pleasant bearable. I'm talking...a small tent and a couple of sleeping bags. Over the years I have learned that I am not much of a camper. I need indoor plumbing and a nice comfy bed. I like to be outdoors, I just want a potty, clean hair...and not to sleep on a rock.

We pulled into a spot (out in the middle of nowhere) to set up camp for the night. It was starting to get dark and we needed to hurry and get it done. Eventually, it was dark enough that we had to turn on the pickup so the lights would shine on the tent, so we could finish getting set up.

When we were finished I jumped into the pickup and locked the doors and left the driver door open (Now that makes a lot of sense). The pickup was still running and John was going to hop in and turn it off. I let John know that the doors on the pickup were locked. (I'm a door locker, and he is a door shut-er). Before he entered the pick up and shut it off, he was finishing up a few things and pushed the door shut. What the H!? We had just locked our keys in a running pickup out in the middle of nowhere. No cell phones, no one close by to help, dark outside. Lovely. We looked high and low for a hidden key and tried our best to get in. After stressing for several minutes trying to come up with a solution, John picked up a big rock and bashed it into the driver side window. Oh, and did I mention that the pickup belonged to his mom and we were just borrowing it? And, did I also mention that it was hot ol' Arizona and we had to drive the rest of the way with a window down and out. Annnd, we were broke and couldn't pay for a new window. Annnnnnd, it was monsoon season where it rains in BUCKETS. (Jumping ahead--I remember seeing John's mom driving (shortly after that) with an umbrella open and up against the spot where there SHOULD have been a window. Whoops. I'm sure under her breath the whole time was "Stupid, idiot, kids.")

There hasn't been a dull moment since!
I'm blessed to have married such a great guy! Love you John!

Love this quote...
"Keep your eyes wide open before marriage, and half-shut afterwards." -Ben Franklin

No comments: