Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Kickin' cancer--soccer style

About two weeks ago, I got a phone call from my cousin Natalyn.  She is the girls head soccer coach for Timpanogos High School.  She explained to me that she was coming to town with the girls soccer team for a tournament.  Every year Natalyn puts together some type of fireside for the girls, and they do service for someone, in conjunction with their tournament.

Natalyn was calling to ask me to speak to the girls at a fireside about trials, and how to get through them with a positive attitude.  She also told me that the team would like to help me with anything I needed done around the house--cleaning, with the kids, grocery shopping...whatever I needed done.  At this point in time, it had only been about a month since my breast cancer surgery.  I was still moving slow and not feeling 100%.

I agreed to speak, and I spoke to the girls about how everyone in life has or will go through trials.  It is not a matter of if, but when.  I told them how important it is to rely on Heavenly Father when facing a trial.  I told them that you have to have a good attitude.  Having a bad attitude and pulling a blanket over my head won't change the fact that I have cancer.  It was fun speaking to the girls.  They we all so cute and fun to be around.

It was decided that the next day, the would put together SEVERAL freezer meals (for days that I was going through chemo and too sick to cook).  They also made me a darling fleece blanket.  The day after the fireside, they delivered the meals, blanket, and sweet card.  What a blessing to our family!  Natalyn and the girls are SO awesome (along with help from Natalyn's sisters and my sweet cousins--Cindy and Karri)!
The picture above shows two different blankets that have been made for me.  The blanket with the large flowers was made by the girls soccer team and the pink and white blanket was made by my sister Lisa and her girls.  They are both darling and have already been put to good use.  I have slept on the couch many nights when I am having a hard time staying asleep.  That was so sweet of all of them!! 

This past Thursday, I received a text from my cousin.  She said that the girls had just played a game in my honor, and won 5-1.  These are the pictures that she sent with the text...
It made my (rough) day...and made me cry.  So sweet!

1 comment:

Sarah Enz said...

This is awesome. And it made me cry.
You have been in my thoughts and prayers a lot lately. Love you and your family.
Hang in there. There's lots of angels seen and unseen who are on your team.