Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Chemo Round 4

Chemo Round 4 was not a lot different than the other previous rounds, only I think I get a little sicker each time--and am a little more out of energy.  I think it's because each time I go in for chemo, my body is not yet fully recovered from the treatment before.  I can't even describe how out of energy I am.  The smallest tasks completely take my breath away.  It is so annoying to break a sweat and be panting because you have vacuumed your living room floor.  I crave to be well and healthy again.

I have been dealing with thrush since round 3 and have been taking medicine 4 times a day for it.  Nasty, nasty swish and swallow crap that I had to do 4 times a day.  The medicine left a bad taste in my mouth that altered the taste of food.  The stubborn thrush was just NOT going away.  It was all in my mouth and down my throat.  I go in weekly for lab work, and this last time I showed the doctor my mouth.  She decided to kick the thrush in the butt with an I.V. of medicine.  Thursday and Friday I had a 2 hour I.V. drip of medicine for the thrush and am also taking pills.  It looks like it is finally going away.  Take THAT thrush!

Also, while meeting with the doctor, I showed her my toenail.  Awhile back when I was running some marathon relays with friends I bruised my toenail.  No big deal right.  Well chemo is hard on nails.  The entire nail was peeling off.  It was unattached at the base and still attached at the top. (See picture at the right)  It was completely gross.  Riley was SOOO fascinated by it, but totally grossed out.  One night after scripture study, she took probably 20 picture of my toe.  She had all kinds of comments about it too.  When I showed my toe to the doctor, she said, "You could probably just pull that nail off", to which I replied, "Or YOU could".  The doc was able to peel that baby off, and yes it hurt.  But, I would be too big of a baby to rip my own nail off.  Especially since it was still quite attached. 

The doctor asked me if I wanted to keep the nail as a souvenir.  OF COURSE I DID!  I had just the person to give it to!  I put that baby in an envelope and wrote Riley's name on it.  It was a little toenail mail!  When she got home from school, I told her that something came in the mail for her.  I tried to film her opening it and she caught on that something nasty was in the envelope, but she didn't know what.  She flung it out on the floor, and her face was priceless when she realized what it was.  Oh Riley girl, I love you and your sense of humor!

No comments: