It's been 10 days today since surgery. I am still not feeling super great. I was told that it could take several weeks before I start to feel better. My surgery was Monday of last week. On Thursday (last week) I called my doctor's office because I felt like I had a UTI. I went in and they put my on another antibiotic. (I was already on an antibiotic for the surgery) On Saturday, I was just not feeling good. Major UTI symptoms and I was leaking a lot of urine. Just what everyone wants. (Sorry, too much information).
I made the decision to call the doctors office and talk to whoever was on-call. The doctor that answered was not the one that did my surgery. I started explaining to him what was going on and all my symptoms. It was like I was just talking to myself. When I would pause, I would hear nothing. No sounds of "okay", "yes", no questions, nothing. He finally said, "I don't understand what the emergency is." I told him that it wasn't exactly an emergency, but that I wanted to know if it was fairly normal, or if I needed to be doing something about it, or be seen.
When I hung up the phone I was fuming mad. If you looked closely, I'm sure you would have seen steam coming out of my ears. The doctor was absolutely no help and just gave me a lame, brush off answer. I was so mad, and after a minute I called him RIGHT BACK. I basically gave him a piece of my mind. I told him that it may not be a big deal to HIM, but to ME it was a big deal. I said, "Do you think I am just sitting at home with nothing to do, so I decided to call you?" I let him have it for several minutes. I did not hold back. He then started apologizing and answered my questions and offered to go to the office and meet me. I didn't end up going in. I felt like he needed to know that he should be a little more helpful and kind when a patient calls in with questions. It's not like I was wanting him to prescribe me drugs or was asking anything hard of him.
At the end of the phone call I apologized and explained to the doctor that I have been going through breast cancer treatments and that it's been a rough year. But, I didn't completely let him off the hook.

1 comment:
Haha love the quote at the end!!
Post a Comment