Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Holy Excitement Batman!

Last night for Family Home Evening we talked to the kids about making sacrifices. We talked about how sometimes we can't get everything we want. We explained to them that we sacrifice, set goals, and when we achieve our goals, we feel very satisfied and sometimes we even celebrate.

We have been out of school for almost 4 years. We definitely had to make some sacrifices during school. I look back on those times and sometimes wonder how we did it. We lived in a small apartment with 4 kids. It seemed like it was impossible to keep it clean because of the lack of space. I still look back and laugh about our food storage. Due to the lack of space, I would store canned food under the couch and love seat. When I needed a can of corn or something, I would tip the couch back and send a kid under to fetch it for me. The closets were very small in the apartment, so...many things were stored under beds. It was hard, but also some of the best times of my life were during school. I miss all my friends that were my "family" and took such good care of me.

Anywho...I will get off this little tangent and back to FHE. SO, we explained that we have met one of the goals that we set and now it is time to celebrate. We asked them to give us some ideas of what we could do to celebrate. Here are their suggestions....

Jace--- "We could go get some ice cream!" (What a great little boy. I just love how he is so sweet and innocent.)
Brynn--- "We could go to Lagoon or Disneyland!"
Riley--- "We could buy a boat!" (Whoa Nelly, you are shooting a little high)

After their suggestions, we told them that in a couple of weeks we are going to go to Disneyland. Brynn just put her hands over her mouth and her eyes teared up. (That is the best kind of "thanks".) She just jumped up from her chair and ran to hug us. Riley, Jace, and Haley were equally excited. This morning the woke up talking about how they dreamt about Disneyland.

I am grateful to have such great kids and such a hard-working awesome husband!!!!

3 comments:

Anne Bradshaw said...

A great post. I'm a big fan of family home evening!

Just dropping by to let you know I have a super give-away contest running this week (and every week) on my LDS blog at Not Entirely British

This time, the prize is a copy of Dr. Wally Goddard's latest book, Soft-Spoken Parenting.

Erin said...

So we are HUGE fans of Disneyland!!!! We can't seem to get enough. The first time we took our kids we didn't tell them, we just loaded everyone up in the Van and took off. About half way there we asked if they knew where we were going and then told them Disneyland. I video taped us telling them. There is nothing like happiness from Children. Have a great time you deserve it and post tons of pictures.

Peterson Pack of Wild Dogs said...

If you guys need a place to crash half way through, let me know! We just had my cousins do that trip and they had a ball! Sounds like fun.