Thursday, October 29, 2009

Just need to vent.....

Several years ago, my dad was diagnosed with cancer. He got so sick awhile back that he and my mom were released from their mission. When they left the mission, he went to have 2 stem cell transplants done. The transplants were the only thing for him to do to "buy him some time". Dad has been going through chemo therapy for YEARS. He is such a strong person. He goes and gets his chemo, and then heads out to work in the yard (or something else equally difficult). You would never know that he is sick. He doesn't complain about not feeling well, and he just doesn't skip a beat.

Just recently he went to see his doctor. Unfortunately his levels are starting to creep back up again. The doctor told him that he should start taking a new, different kind of medicine. The medicine is $9000 per bottle. Yes, you read that right $9000 for 120 pills. That is $75 PER PILL!! 3 pills a day = 40 days of medicine. We are talking BIG bucks!! If someone cannot afford the pills, they can get them for FREE!! Yes, FREE!! Fortunately AND unfortunately my dad does not fall into that category. Sheesh! It is like he is paying for all those people that are not paying for their own! Why can't someone get medicine that will help them without practically giving their first born child?

7 comments:

Peterson Pack of Wild Dogs said...

Heidi, I am so sorry to hear this sad news. I cannot believe the cost of medicine! What a joke! I know what you mean with not qualifyinh for "free" It gets old doesn't it? Stay strong cute girl!

Curtis & Nichole said...

I totally agree Heidi I have to vent about this topic occasionally too....isn't it sicking how that works sometimes; those who have worked hard & saved get punished when they need help.

And who IS paying for the others? (conclusion, I guess we are a little unbalanced in principle) :)

ty and keli's life said...

Hi I am John's freind I hope you don't mind checking our your page everyonce in awhile.. my daughter has cancer right now my insurance would only pay for 2 days of medicine for my daughter it is 800 dollars I know that is nothing like 9000 but I was given a paper that will help with situations like that but unfortunally I can not find it as soon as I do I will give you the information..in the meantime I was told to search the internet and you should be able to find help..good luck with everything.. Love Keli Wood

J and J said...

My heart goes out to you and your dad. The system is definitely messed up. I don't see any solutions coming soon. Maybe there is some help out there. Have faith. It will work out. Love Jill

Erin said...

Our health care system is screwed up!!! I am so sorry for your family. I hope the pills work for your dad and he can feel better.

Emily said...

We need to get the real story from you occasionally Heidi. Your dad is always doing just fine if you ask him. I can't believe how expensive that medicine is. What a joke! Your parents are both amazing!

Tai said...

So sorry to hear that!! What a joke. I guess if you have worked hard your whole life to support your family they don't care?? Why is it they give all the slackers who have no drive and don't want to work for anything everything??? I totally don't understand it. You have an amazing family. YOu will definitely be in our prayers!!