My good friend Molly suggested that we all get together to celebrate the big 3-0. She offered to have us all meet at her apartment, and John volunteered to stop and by a birthday cake.
Before the get together at Shae and Molly's, John and I went out to dinner. When we were done eating we drove to Baskin Robbin's to pick up a cake before we headed over to the party.
When we pulled into the parking lot of Baskin Robbin's, I told John to just drop me off and I would run in and grab a cake.
I quickly picked out a cake and went up to pay for it. The guy behind the counter asked me if I wanted him to write something on the top of the cake. He assured me that there would be no charge and that it would just take a second. Without giving it much thought I told him to go ahead and write on the cake.
When he asked me what I wanted him to write, I was a bit flustered and answered with red, warm cheeks, "Happy Birthday, Heidi."
As I WROTE out a check, SIGNING my NAME (which just so happened to be ON THE CAKE), and the sale associate watching me writing "Heidi"...I almost broke out laughing. I am quite certain the sheepish look on my face gave me away. I couldn't even look him in the eyes!! I couldn't even pretend that this cake was NOT for me....but for my "friend" Heidi.
It was very apparent from the worker's reaction that he thought I was going to go home and eat the entire cake myself. It was almost as if his eyes were saying, "You poor pitiful girl."
As I exited the store, before I was even all the way out the door, I busted out laughing. What the heck did I just do??? I just picked out a cake and had a special message written to ME from ME. John and I laughed all the way to Shae and Molly's about the situation. Everyone at the party had a good laugh about it too. In fact, we all still laugh about it to this day.
Looking back on it now, I wish I would have had him write something juicy on the cake like...
"Happy Birthday to ME! The world has been blessed by my presence!"
![]() |
| You can see my red cheeks in this picture! (Also, look at cute little Riley and Brynn off to the side.) |

2 comments:
That is hilarious!!! I can just picture the whole thing! :)
Love this story Heidi! So funny!
I haven't read any blogs for so long. I decided to catch up tonight. I read some of your posts I have missed. Can I just say, I love your blog! It makes me laugh and cry. Thanks for sharing.
Post a Comment