Sunday, August 24, 2014

Another surgery on the horizon

In April I went in for an elective surgery.  I had my tubes tied, an ablation, and a bladder repair.  Since then, I have had problems.  My surgery was done on April 14th and at my six week check up, I was complaining that something didn't feel right.  The doctor told me to give it about three months and see if things changed for the better.  I couldn't wait three months and finally went in on July 3rd for more answers.

During the July 3rd appointment a cyst was discovered on my right ovary.  The doctor assumed that was the root of my problem, and that we needed to watch it for 6-8 weeks.  The next week, and the week after that, I was back in the doctor's office.  I was having a tremendous amount of burning.  After testing for a UTI both weeks, (and both tests were negative) they sent me on my way.

The 4th week of July I called the doctor's office again.  This would be my 4th appointment for the month.  That meant I had been to the doctor every single week during the month of July (except for the 5th and last week in July).  My doctor was out of town for 2 weeks, so I saw a P.A.  She couldn't find anything wrong.

I then started asking for my records to be send to a specialist.  My doctor's office drug their feet for over a week to send my records.  I couldn't get an appointment with the Urogynecologist until my records had been faxed to them.  I finally had to get down-right mean to the lady in the office that dealt with referrals.  I told her that she would get it done for me TODAY, or I was going to get a lawyer involved.  I felt like the only way I could get through to her was by getting angry.  I had already spoken to her several times the week prior and she was simply not doing what I was asking her to do.  After all, they are MY records.  She finally faxed my records and I had to wait another 3 weeks to get in with the specialist.

Thursday, August 21st, I saw a Urogynecologist.  She discovered that the mesh that was placed for the bladder repair was twisted when it should have been flat.  It also felt too tight.  She gave me a piece of mesh to feel.  It really is very scratchy if it is not flat and loose.  She also found that I have a prolapsed uterus.  Both will have to be fixed, and when I say fixed, I mean the mesh and the uterus and going to have to come out.

Without going over the top sharing about my "lady parts" and symptoms, I just have to say it has been several months of misery.  Burning, pain, pressure, etc., etc., etc., etc.

I was feeling extremely frustrated last night.  I feel like all of my problems are a result of my last surgery.  I felt good going into surgery and came out feeling terrible.  I paid a bunch of money to create a list of problems for me and now will pay a bunch of money to have it reversed.  Not to mention another dang surgery.  Yuck.  I started reading about my life a year ago.  Read about it here.  Suddenly, I felt a lot better about my problems and symptoms.  Perspective.

Surgery will not take place for a month.  I have to be on estrogen for a month before they will do the surgery.  It makes it easier to get the mesh out.  It has been such a waiting game since April.  It seems like everything has a long time frame attached to it.  It is SO HARD to be patient when you feel terrible.  I feel better when sitting.  I have become so proficient in the art of sitting.  I want to be out walking, biking, etc.  I feel like I have "sat" the summer away. 

“No pain that we suffer, no trial that we experience is wasted. It ministers to our education, to the development of such qualities as patience, faith, fortitude and humility. All that we suffer and all that we endure, especially when we endure it patiently, builds up our characters, purifies our hearts, expands our souls, and makes us more tender and charitable, more worthy to be called the children of God … and it is through sorrow and suffering, toil and tribulation, that we gain the education that we come here to acquire.”           -Orson F. Whitney

No comments: