Monday, June 11, 2012

That Dam Marathon

Saturday I ran a Damn  marathon.  The Teton Dam Marathon (relay team) to be exact.  (There is just something fun about adding that little "n".  Such a rebel.)  Anyway...

A group of girls from my ward (plus a girl from across town) decided that sounded like a fun idea.  They asked this old-farty 40 year old to join them in their quest.  I made sure before I said yes that they were not in-it-to-win-it.  I would hate to ruin their time when I stop off at the gas station for a Mountain Dew, potty break, and a quick nap.

I have been running/walking 5 days a week with my friend Michelle.  Usually 4.5 to 7 miles.  We enjoy it, and we spend a lot of time chatting it up.  Working out is SO MUCH better when you have someone to do it with.  Michelle and I both have 4 kids each...and they are roughly the same age.  So yes, we have lots to talk about.  We have been exercise partners off and on for the last 20 years.  She's great!
We came up with a team name a few weeks ago--2 slow 2 win 2 determined 2 quit.  Before we settled on the name I gave them a few suggestions...

Wrong Distance Runners
Asphalt Assault
Old Enough to know Better
Time wounds all Heels
Hill is a 4 letter word
2 slow 2 win 2 dumb 2 quit
F.A.R.T.S - Friends Always Run Together Socially

The relay team had to be a the starting line around 6 am, so we could drop off our first runner.  I ran the 4th leg of the race, and it was a nice flat leg.  Just the way I like it.  Four of us (including myself) ran 4 miles and the other two girls ran 5 miles.  I couldn't believe all the hills in that marathon.  Totally brutal.  I would have died if I were the one to do that leg of the race.  Luckily, I was running with some amazingly athletic girls.

It was a little cold and a little breezy, but it definitely could have been a lot worse.  At the very end of the race we all joined the last runner and crossed the finish line together. 

I really enjoyed doing it as a relay team!!  We had a great time cheering each other on, and visiting in the car when it was not our turn to run.  I am so blessed to have such great friends!!

No comments: