We had to provide our own entertainment. We would spend endless hours outside--riding bikes, floating the canal, playing kick-the-can, playing make believe, exploring the yard, taking a walk (sometimes down to the "dead calf"--another story for another time). We probably spent 90% of the day, outside. It didn't matter what we were dressed like...
![]() |
| Exhibit A.--Stan, Jared, Kevin, and Curtis out front in their undy-pants. I especially love Kevin's XL pair and the fact that he is wearing shoes. Cute little Curty is in the can. |
![]() |
| Exhibit B.--Fashion was not a necessity when it came to playing hard. |
I think just about every summer, we (some of my siblings and a few neighbor kids), would get several shovels out of the garage and head out to the backyard--to dig ourselves a mud swimming pool in a spot near the garden. It wasn't just a mud wading pool, it was a mud swimming pool. The "pool" was equipped with a slide, diving board (2x4), and a life guard (wearing a whistle). We probably spent as much time making the pool as we did swimming in it. We took our pool building very seriously. Oh how I wish we had a picture of it all.
After swimming and rolling around in the mud, we would head into the house in our swimming suits. You guessed it---muddy from head to toe. It seems like mud was in every crevasse--even our ears. Gross.
We would all pile in the bath tub and shower off together. I am quite certain that we left the bathroom and tub in a huge muddy mess, thinking nothing of it. Isn't that just a kid for ya?
My mom was always so incredibly patient with us as we used our imaginations and carried out our hair-brained ideas. What a saint! Thanks Mom!


2 comments:
I will comment as soon as I stop laughing...
Love this post! I want to be a mom like that! I'm afraid I wouldn't be so patient! Love the undies best!
Post a Comment