Monday, September 12, 2011

One year ago...

One year ago today, my dad lost his long, hard, battle with cancer.  (You can read more about it here and here).  I just can't believe how quickly the year flew by.  To me, it seemed like the first couple of months would never end, and I always had the song, "Wake me up when September ends" running through my mind.  Right at first, it seemed like time was going at a snails pace.  Soon after, it seemed like time was shoved into fast speed and stopped with a jolt one year later.

One day, when my dad had only been gone a month or so, my mom called me to ask for some help with a few things at her house.  I only live about a mile from my mom's house, and gladly went over to help her.  When I got to her house she told me that she wasn't able to get one of the garage door openers to work (it needed to be programmed correctly).  She was also concerned with the light not going on (on the garage door motor).  She didn't like coming home late at night to a dark garage.  She was planning on calling a garage door repair man, because she had changed the light bulb before and it still wasn't working.  I was able to get both things working for her, and they were both easy fixes.  I could barely get through helping her without bawling my eyes out.  For those of you that know my mom, you know that she is able to accomplish and fix just about anything.  It was painful thinking that the safety net (meaning my dad) was moved and no longer there.  My dad would fix things that absolute minute he found out that they weren't working.  He was ALWAYS "johnny on the spot" when anything needed to be done.  It almost absolutely had to be done that day.  (Now I know where I get that from).

When I got in the car and left my mom's house, I had myself a good cry.  I cried all the way to the mall where I was heading to return some pants.  I had to sit out in the car for several minutes to gain my composure.  When I thought I finally had it all together, I went into Macy's.  I was hoping to dash in, (not see anyone I knew), and dash out again.  As luck would have it, I bumped into my friend Michelle.  Of course I wasn't able to keep it together there and had myself another good cry right there in Macy's.  There is nothing better then making yourself a spectacle in the middle of the store...ugly cry and all.

The older I get the more I realize that time picks up speed every year.  Sometimes when you really stop and think about things it really puts life into perspective.

From the hymn---Improve the Shinning Moments (vs. 2)

Time flies on wings of lightning;
We cannot call it back.
It comes, then passes forward
Along its onward track.
And if we are not mindful,
The chance will fade away,
For life is quick in passing.
’Tis as a single day.
Not a day goes by that I don't think of my dad....even one year later.  I love and miss you dad!
This is an old picture but puts the biggest smile on my face!  The look on my dad's face is priceless!

1 comment:

Jill said...

So sweet, Heidi.

Our parents/grandparents are really kin. One of our favorite sayings is "Johnny on the Spot". It goes right along with "white tornado".

I love that pic of your parents too. You are blessed to be sealed to such amazing people!!