Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Need to find a good balance


Lately, I feel like I need to find a good balance in my life. There are things I want to do, things I need to do, and things I have to do.

I've noticed that I have developed some qualities like my dad (which is not a bad thing). But, when he is working on a project...it's ALL OR NOTHING. For example...My dad will wake up in the morning, and decide to do some project in the yard. (I'm not just talking about a small project either). He won't work a few hours a day, for a few days, until the task is completed...OH NO! He will get up at the crack of dawn and work the ENTIRE day until it is done. Never mind stopping for lunch, and I'm not even sure how he fits potty breaks into the scenario. John teases him that he goes out to work wearing "Depends", so he doesn't even have to think about it. My sister Monica always says that he needs to "dial it down a notch". Come to think of it my mom falls into this same crazy-work-yourself-to-death category too.

I'm bugged with myself as of late. I have fallen prey to the stay-on-one-task-all- day-crazy-hullabaloo. What is keeping me busy all day, you ask? I have been trying to help my sweet hubby build his dental practice. (I have been working on flyers in photoshop, etc. Maybe I will get your input on it later.) Do I want, need, have, to help him? Yes! All day...NO! Working all day on these tasks are NOT at his request. In fact, I'm sure that he would appreciate it if I would "dial it down a notch". Lately, my house is a wreck, I haven't been exercising, my kids just think it is a free-for-all, and I put the closest quickest things in my mouth.

The stress of living an UN-balanced life is not good. It is not healthy. Do any of you have any great tips on leading a better balanced life?

5 comments:

J and J said...

Sounds so familiar!!! I do the best when I use my trusty notebook to write down my priorities and follow a routine before I start any project. (yada yada easier said than done.)
That being said, sometimes a marathon week or day is necessary for a particular project. The idea is to have a balanced life right? Not necessarily a balance day or week. I think with little ones sometimes it is necessary to focus in on one thing or you will never get it done with all of the intrusions. I know not much help. Good luck!

J and J said...

Sounds so familiar!!! I do the best when I use my trusty notebook to write down my priorities and follow a routine before I start any project. (yada yada easier said than done.)
That being said, sometimes a marathon week or day is necessary for a particular project. The idea is to have a balanced life right? Not necessarily a balance day or week. I think with little ones sometimes it is necessary to focus in on one thing or you will never get it done with all of the intrusions. I know not much help. Good luck!

J and J said...

oops!

NatureGirl said...

You know how I feel about living a balanced life! I support you 100%. And if you ever want to sit on my lawn with me and do nothing on a sunny day...please feel free to do so. This is a must for proper balance!

Peterson Pack of Wild Dogs said...

My best advise for this all too familiar scenario is to remember what is most important. Will it be there tomorrow? Probably. Does it have to be "all or nothing" today? Can you set a goal and accomplish it over a period of time? That's what's so great about setting goals is they can be long term too. Don't get down on yourself. You are a great mom and wifey poo. I'll bet John is so grateful for you. Keep things in perspective and don't expect to always be super mom. If the dishes sit in the sink and you dont' get them done until 11pm but you've read to your kids for the day, well you've done what's more important. The other thing is to ask for help. Sounds like the project you've chosen is quite time consuming. Involve John and the kids in your quest. Pop some popcorn and talk while your choosing, the kids are coloring and John is clipping. Hang in there cutie, you're not alone! P.S...Don't answer your phone and put your computer in time out for a couple of days. You'll be amazed at the extra time you have.