Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Tests

I recently had my three month appointment with my oncologist.  I told him that my lower back has been hurting me for quite some time.  He decided that it would be best to have an x-ray done and check it out, because I have mentioned it to him before.  I'm glad that they don't mess around and just tell you not to worry about things.

I went to the hospital the same day to have an x-ray done.  The next day I met with the doctor and he told me that something was showing up on the x-ray.  He wasn't sure what it was, but he told me not to panic.  It's hard not to panic after going through cancer.  I was then told I needed to have an MRI done.

Also occasionally I have noticed that my heart sometimes skips a beat and then pounds really hard in my chest.  It's something that completely drains the blood from my face and takes my breath away.  I've read a lot about how chemotherapy and radiation can cause heart problems.  I also read about how Tamoxifen can cause problems--like blood clots in your lungs, etc.  I know that you can't believe everything you read.  I don't like reading about these kinds of things, but sometimes if something feels strange or out of the norm, I try to figure out what is going on.  I have been quite stressed out lately (I may get into that more on a later day) and so it could just be stress related.

So they did an EKG at the doctor's office and sent me to the hospital for a MRI on my back and CT scan on my chest.  Between doctors and tests it took about 4 hours.  I felt like I had been through the wringer.  Have you ever had an MRI or CT scan?  Yuck!  I've had them done before and I feel SO claustrophobic!  I was in the MRI machine for 30 minutes and had to keep my eyes closed tight the entire time.

A couple days ago I met with my doctor again for all the results.  They didn't not seen anything wrong with my heart or any clots.  The MRI showed that I have a bulging disc in my lower back.  What a relief!  I am happy to report that I am still in remission!

A friend in my ward passed away last night after battling cancer for probably about 5 years.  She had dealt with several different types of cancer and had to do chemotherapy for YEARS.  She was such a good example to me.  She never complained and always had such a great attitude, even when she had every reason to complain!  She was always taking care of other people, when she was the one that needed to be taken care of.  Yesterday, Haley wanted to go buy her a Coke Slushy and take it over to her.  I told Haley that she was too sick and we couldn't do that.  We decided to write her a note and Haley picked out one of her stuffed animals to give to her.  We left them on her doorstep and texted to let them know.  This was around 4:00 and she passed away about 4 hours later.  I will miss you Anita.

No comments: