Friday, August 17, 2012

Friday Flashback....Blind Date


On Sunday in Young Womens, the lesson topic was on dating.  Riley turned 16 last week and can now officially date.  Holy crap. 

During the lesson, I shared with the Young Women a time that I went on a nightmare blind date.  This nightmare blind date is now my Friday Flashback...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My sister Monica and I were going on a double date with two brothers.  Monica knew the guy that she was going out with, and I was set up with his younger brother.  The plans were to go swimming at Heise.  First off--swimming on a blind date, ugh.  How awkward to stand there in your swimming suit, trying to get to know someone.

Right before the date, I found out that Monica and the older brother were no longer able to go.  My date still wanted to go...lucky me.  Monica, you still owe me!

The drive to Heise was about 45 minutes from my house.  So, when you do the math... 45 minute drive there + a couple of hours of swimming + 45 minute drive home = a LONG FLIPPIN blind date!  Especially since the guy was quiet, awkward, and a little too much like Dwight Schrute from "The Office" (which just happens to be my favorite show).

The drive there was painful.  I was so tired from staying up late the night before.  He was silent and acted like he would rather be somewhere else.  (Feeling was mutual buddy.)  In our visiting, it didn't seem like we had much in common.  You can only ask so many questions before you are tapped.

Once we got there, changed into our swimming suits, and headed to the pool -- I ran into a problem.  The guy I just met is now wearing something else. How in the heck am I going to recognize him and locate him?

The next problem---what do we do to entertain ourselves for the next couple of hours. 
  • Hand stand competitions? 
  • Marco Polo?
  • Chicken Fight with a random couple?
  • Should I dunk him? 
I don't remember how everything played out exactly.  But, I DO remember one incident that was COMPLETELY humiliating. 

We swam for a little while and then went and layed out on our towels.  Next thing I know, I am waking up, yes you read that right, WAKING UP.  Ohhh man...HOW LONG WAS I ASLEEP?  Did I just doze off for 5 minutes?  Was I out for more then a half hour?  Was he talking to me, getting no response?  Was I snoring?

When I woke up he was off swimming by himself.  I didn't dare ask him how long I had been asleep.  I know that my cheeks were red, and I'm pretty sure that it wasn't a sun burn.  Ay Caramba!  Ha ha, maybe I was the nightmare blind date.

2 comments:

Par 5 said...

How is it that our brothers and sisters get us into those types of situations?? I too have been on a few nightmare blind dates in my days...all thanks to the siblings... ;) I would definitely hold that over Monica's head any time you need something. :)

city said...

thanks for sharing.