Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Holy Smokes...I'm BACK!

I've been blog/journal slacking lately, but HOLY SMOKES I'm back!

A few weeks ago Jace came to me explaining that he wanted to apply for the Mayor Scholarship.  Part of the process of the application would involve him writing an essay.  Ugh.  I didn't want to sit down and write an essay with him.  What a lame-o, lazy mom.  He came to me a couple of times and told me that he wanted to apply and was running out of time.  One day he ended up staying after school and working on the application there.  I didn't realize why he was staying after school.  I thought he was meeting with a teacher after school and he came home and told me that he had written the essay, filled everything out, and turned the application in.  In my mind I was thinking, "Crap, I didn't help you! I didn't help proof read it or anything!"  I asked him if I could read what he wrote and was told that he no longer had a copy.  Yikes.  I was proud of him for him proceeding forward even when he was met with resistance from me.  That was that.  It was done, turned in, and I really didn't give it much thought afterwards.

One afternoon Jace handed me an large envelope that came in the mail.  I didn't even flip it over to see who it was from, I just grabbed it and opened it up.  The first word on the page....CONGRATULATIONS!  I yelled, "Jace CONGRATULATIONS, you got it!  You got the scholarship!"  He put his hands over his mouth and nose and started tearing up.  We hugged each other with tears in our eyes.  The rest of the day, Jace could NOT wipe the smile off his face.  He was so excited and proud of himself.  The scholarship is for $500 and will be used for college in a few years.

I have since been able to get a copy of his essay.  I had to giggle when I read part of the essay...
My 4th hour class is funny.  I'm in a mixed choir.  I sing with boys and girls, but mainly girls.  That's only because I'm a soprano.  We are singing this song called, "We're the Men of the Chorus".  The bass and tenors sing, "We're the men of the chorus, we're the men."  The sopranos and altos sing, "They're the men of the chorus, they're the men.  It's funny.
What a great kid with so many great qualities!  We are proud of you Jace!

No comments: