Monday, April 18, 2011

Bed and Breakfast...you make both


Do you ever feel like you are raising lazy kids?  Are there any moms out there that dread Monday mornings as much as I do?  This morning I got up and as usual, went downstairs to wake my girls for school.  I always feel instantly grouchy when I walk into their mess-of-a-mess-of-a-bedroom.  Grrrrrrrrr.  After going into their room, I enter the basement family room to find....blankets on the floor, a large bowl of popcorn, cups, markers, papers everywhere, jackets, candy, candy wrappers, the list goes on.  Grrrrrrr.  Why am I not teaching these dang kids!!??

Recently, I noticed that my friend posted pictures of his daughters messy bedroom on Facebook.  Another friend has decided to pick her daughter up from school if she leaves the house without unloading the dishwasher.  She will pick her up, have her come home and do her chores, and then return to school.  I think I need to come up with some new strategies.

Occasionally on Sunday night, I will remember to have the kids do a "20 minute tidy".  It always makes for a better Monday morning when the house is clean and somewhat organized.

When I was growing up my parents owned several apartment buildings.  When tenants moved out, my parents would go in and clean the apartment.  The apartments were always disgusting and filthy.  My mom would lecture and beg her kids to NOT grow up and live like that.

I think that sometimes I just do the job that I should be having my kids do, because they do such a crappy job.  My bad.  I know that is the way they learn.

What do you do when it comes to kids cleaning???

3 comments:

Sara Sargent Williams said...

I think everyone has this same frustation. I didn't start making my bed as a habit till I was paying my own rent.... but are a mother in zion it is your job to yell at them and make them do their stuff until everyone is on the verge of miserable. Shell had to dust her entire house EVERYday of her childhood....It is part of parenting - so get out the wooden spoon and perhaps withhold all food and water each day until their chores are done! :) XOXO

NatureGirl said...

I gave in to temptation about a year ago. I gave up. I just do the chores myself. I know I am a bad parent. But it is just easier. When they grow up they can figure it out for themselves. There you have it.

Grandma Honey said...

Love that sign. Perfect! :)