Monday, January 13, 2014

First day of radiation

I tossed and turned a lot last night.  I couldn't get the radiation treatments off my mind.  I was feeling worried and was fearing the unknown.

This morning my mom went with me to my first appointment for treatments.  I will be doing radiation 5 times a week for 6 1/2 weeks.  So, I will finish up with the treatments the end of February.

Today's appointment was just under an hour.  They had to do x-rays and make sure that they were not overlapping with the radiation, and also make sure they had it just in the exact spot they needed to be.  Once they had everything set up, the radiation only took a few minutes.  It was really quick and painless.  I've been told that over time, it will be more like a bad sunburn all across my chest.  I'm not really looking forward to that.

When they were all done with the radiation, the last thing they had to do was 5 small tattoos.  3 down my chest and 2 off to the sides.  This will help them to be in the exact same spot every day when they do the procedure.  So, now I can officially say that I have 5 tattoos.  Makes me sound like a mean biker chick.  Although, they are just small round dots, about the size of a freckle.

I am told that I will be VERY tired and out of energy while I am doing treatments.  I have been very tired and out of energy during chemo, so I don't really worry much about that.  It DOES get old feeling tired and exhausted all the time.  One of these days, I hope to be back to my old self again!

No comments: