Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Chemotherapy, Christmas, and the New Year

Wow, it's been a month since my last post.  So much has happened in the month, and I wanted to blog about all of it sooner, but I've been quite sick and completely out of energy.  The kind of out of energy where you can't even hardly move.  I don't want this post to sound like a whiny baby, but this past month has kicked my butt.

I had my LAST round of chemotherapy on December 12th.  (I think by the time you hit your last round of chemo, your body has JUST HAD IT.  All the good has been killed off.)  I cannot even describe how happy I was to do my last round.  My sister Monica took me to chemo because John was working, and my mom was out of town.  John came for a quick visit during chemo and brought doughnuts for all the patients and nurses to celebrate my last chemo.  It was sure sweet of him.  I sure had some great nurses that took care of me during my different rounds of chemotherapy. 
As usual, I spent several days in bed after chemo.  It is not easy having chemo so close to Christmas and then just laying in bed too sick to move, knowing that you have shopping to do, and presents to wrap.  It is quite overwhelming.

Saturday, December 21st, I spent most of the day crying (I'm not even exaggerating) .  I just simply could not control my emotions.  I was so exhausted and still had much to do.  I'm quite certain a major contributing factor was the fact that I had started my "monthly visitor" on December 1st and had been having my period for 21 days straight.  Sorry too much information I know, but these are the facts.  Oh, and it still hasn't stopped...here we are on the 8th of January--STILL GOING.  One of the problems of chemo I guess.  Chemotherapy COMPLETELY wreaks havoc on your entire body.  On a side note, I've seen my OB doctor twice and probably will have to return again.  Luckily they don't see any signs of cancer in that department or any fibroid tumors.  I'm certain that it has contributed to my lack of energy.  This particular Saturday, we went to Redicare to see if they could give me fluids.  There were two male nurses that tried to start my I.V. and I'm quite certain they have not had much practice.  After 5 tries, they finally got the job done.  My arm had 2 huge bruises for quite awhile.

We were able to get everything done for Christmas.  Shocker.  There were times that I wasn't sure if it would happen.  I think the kids were all happy and we had a fun morning.  I was feeling relatively good that morning.  We didn't end up handing out ONE neighborhood gift or treat this year.  I wanted to, but just couldn't do it.  I just told myself that this year I got a free pass and not to take on one more thing. 

I managed to send out some Christmas cards, and I can't believe that even happened.  Last minute I ordered some cards on Walmart.com.  When I got the box of cards in the mail and opened it, I said out loud, "You've gotta be freakin' kidding me".  Somehow Walmart screwed up our cards by putting the wrong names on the card.  So, we were "The Simpsons" this year.  I just had to laugh about it.  I didn't have time to reorder, so out they went!  In my letter with the card I explained and said that we are learning that things don't always go just the way you want in life...and you just have to learn to laugh about it instead of getting mad.

We had fun celebrating the new year with several of my siblings and lots of grand kids.  It's a fun tradition that we do every year.  I hope that 2014 will be a much easier year for me and my family.  But, I don't think I'm going to hold my breath.  It is very likely that they are going to have me back in surgery for a hysterectomy.  I also have to do 6 weeks of radiation.  I'm just ready for a break.  Not quite sure how much more I can handle, but I don't think I really have a choice in the matter.  I just have to keep charging through.

2 comments:

Kari Cheney said...

Henry, Janet and Eli.....haha too funny!

Noelle and Corey said...

Oh my gosh- good ol' Walmart!! That is completely hilarious! You need to publicize that one and get something out of the deal--like a lifetime of free Christmas cards!!