Friday, July 30, 2010

Flashback Friday....Geo vs. the Train


This post is a flashback. It takes place when we were in Indianapolis for Dental School. I decided to post it because we are having such great luck with cars these days. This post is dedicated to all cars that have ever gone head to head with a train.

One night, as many nights in Indiana, John was studying late at the dental school. He had a big test the next morning, so he was making it a rather late night. It was probably about 12:30 a.m. when he finished up and left for home. We lived about 15 minutes from the dental school. The route from the dental school to home took you through an industrial looking area. One of the roads had a couple of railroad tracks that crossed it. Two sets of raised tracks were regularly used, and looked like "official" train tracks. They were illuminated by street lights, warning arms, etc. The third set of tracks looked like they had NOT been used for years. The old tracks ran alongside a building that was very run down and vacant. It was an old warehouse. It was very large and all the windows in the building were broken out and roof was gone. Some shopping carts outside the building were evidence it was being used by some of the local homeless. The only light on the road past the tracks was a single light by an old bar (as in Pub). On the entire road, the only thing lit up were the two elevated tracks. The old set of tracks were beyond the lights. There were NO RXR lights and no crossing arms. I'm sure you get the picture. They just looked like old abandoned tracks by an old abandoned dark warehouse. They were hardly visible except for the weeds that grew near them.

So anyway...John was heading home and it was slightly raining. He crossed the first two set of tracks, and as he approached the third he could see little shadows crossing the road. Very soon, John realized that the shadows on the road were being cast there because there was a train on the tracks. He immediately hit the brakes and started to hydroplane. He kept thinking that he was going to be able to stop in time....right up until the last second. Then he turned the wheel and the driver side hooked itself to the train, and the train started pulling the little Geo Metro. Thankfully the train was not going very fast, but HELLO were talking train vs. Geo.

In John's defence...the area was VERY poorly lit up. The train was completely BLACK and had NO reflective stickers on the side. There was nothing indicating that a train was on the track.

The car was barely drivable when it was all said and done. John drove the car home. He probably didn't get home until about 2:30 a.m. because the police came, etc. When John got home, he quietly slid into bed and went to sleep. The next morning he left before I was even awake.

So here's me opening the blinds the next morning seeing my little car, "Holy Crap!" I called my good friend Molly C. to tell her that my car was in a accident, and I didn't have a clue what happened. Molly then informed me that John was hit by a train during the night on his way home from the school. I was so confused as to why she would know this and not me. (John was supposed to drive several of the guys in the carpool that morning, so that is how Molly was informed and not me. I could totally get off on a tangent about the carpool. John carpooled with 4 other LDS dental students that lived in our apartment complex. It always made me laugh to see 5 guys STUFFED into this little Geo. It looked like a clown car.) Okay, back to the story....John was so tired when he got home that night. He thought that if he woke me I would have a million questions. I may also have some kind of "lecture series" on some subject matter regarding trains, cars, slick roads, driving at night, etc.

I called my mom and told her that John was hit by a train while driving the Geo. She was totally surprised and asked me if he was hurt. I told her that I didn't see any blood around the apartment, so I assumed he was okay. I didn't get a chance to talk to John about everything until much later that next day. I'm glad that he was not hurt in this crazy accident. We probably could have had some case against the train company. We just never really pursued it. That accident unfortunately put us in the one car category for the rest of dental school. I'm not gonna lie, that was stinky.

Riley standing by our little Geo. She is about 5 1/2 years old in this picture. She reminds me of Haley in this picture.

We were a little sad when they hauled that car off.

2 comments:

attack of The Mouse said...

What a great story. I think that must have happened before I arrive on the scene. I'm glad that John was not hurt. That is supper scarry. I know what you mean by a one car family - stinky. Thanks for sharing.

DST said...

Thanks for the flashback it brought back lots of good memories-like the time that we had to walk/run from the freeway exit to Manchester in the rain because we ran out of gas and had to get back so the guys could all get to school.